ARCHITECTUAL MODEL, NESLIA, SCALE 1:500
In the spring of 2016 I started working on another physical architectural model for Alliance Arkitekter. This time it was a housing project in Oslo with 160 units.
I started out with a DXF-file from Kartverket. This is a line representation of both terrain and structures with height notations. These files can be obtained within any given geographical selection in Norway, and are accurate down to 1 meter in urban areas(FKB-A/FKB-B).The lines have to be transformed into a surface or 3d solid to be rendered or 3d printed. For the terrain lines it is feasable to use an automated method ie. a script or a plugin. But to get the detail I wanted on the houses and structures I had to opt for the manual solution. This is a tedious and weary process. The point here is to hide all the lines that are not associated with the buildings and to have the correct snap-settings when redrawing the geometry. A couple of hours later I had all the structures, including roads as solid 3d models. I then subtracted a slightly upscaled copy of the houses and road from the terrain. Now it was time to add the plot for the new apartment buildings. The design and placement of the buildings will most likely evolve and change during the project timeline. This meant the plot had to be replaceable elements.The model, being around 60×60 cm in physical size, had to be split up into managable chunks for my 3d printers. This was around 20×20 cm, which is the maximum size on the Ultimaker. With simple boolean operations I sliced the terrain and road into separate printable parts.Because the architects were using ArchiCad and worked with the terrain in a stepped mode, I chose to keep this geometric form to differentiate the plot from its surroundings. Once all the parts were done I placed them on a piece of MDF, cut to the exact size, with a frame around the edges to hold everything securely in place. No glue needed. My 3d-printers spent about 175 hours in total printing time, with terrain clocking in 125 hours, buildings at 39 hours and the roads at 11 hours. Almost 7 kg of plastic filament was transformed in 49 successful prints. Layer height was set to 0,3 mm, with a couple of 0,4 mm prints. Speed around 50 mm/s.